New York State Pistol Permit ASsistance
Pistol Permit Application Assistance for
Suffolk and Nassau Counties
Call to schedule an appointment
COMPLETE YOUR NYS Pistol Permit Application
The New York State Pistol Permit application process can be confusing and overwhelming: New York has some of the toughest laws and regulations in the US for conceal carry pistol permits. Long Island, including Nassau and Suffolk counties, are two of several counties in New York who are very restrictive in issuing conceal carry permits or licenses.
Guardian Security Training offers application assistance for the New York State Pistol License:
We Offer New York State Pistol Permit Assistance For:
Sportsmen / Hunters
Suffolk County / Nassau County Pistol Permit/License Applicant Requirements
The applicant must:
- Be at least 21 years of age (this rule does not apply if the applicant has been honorably discharged from the US Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard, or the National Guard of New York.)
- Be of good moral character
- Have no prior conviction for a felony or other serious offense, as defined in Section 265 of Penal Law
- Not be a fugitive
- Not be an unlawful user or addicted to any controlled substance defined in section 21 U.S.C. 802
- Not be illegally or unlawfully residing in the United States.
- Not admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, subject to the exception in 18 U.S.C. 922(y)(2)
- Not have been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions
- Not have renounced their United States Citizenship
- Disclose any history of mental illness
- Be free from any mental disorders, defects, or diseases that would impair their ability to safely possess or use a firearm.
- Not have been involuntarily committed to a facility under the jurisdiction of an office of the Department of Mental Hygiene pursuant to article nine or fifteen of the Mental Hygiene Law, article seven hundred thirty or section 330.20 of the criminal procedure law, section four hundred two or five hundred eight of the correction law, section 322.2 or 353.4 of the Family Court Act, or has not been civilly confined in a secure treatment facility pursuant to article ten of the Mental Hygiene Law.
- Not have had a guardian appointed to them, based on a determination that is a result of marked subnormal intelligence, mental illness, incapacity, condition or disease, or lacks the mental capacity to contract or manage their affairs.
- Not have had a license revoked, be under suspension, or ineligiblity order issued pursuant to the provisions of section 530.14 of the criminal procedure law or section 542-A of the Family Court Act.
- Maintains a residence or principal place of business within Suffolk County
- Not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
- Disclose whether he or she has been the subject or recipient of an Order of Protection or a Temporary Order of Protection
- Be a person whom no good cause exists to deny a license.
Nassau County requires the above, as well as:
- Reside within the confines of Nassau County
- Complete the notarized form letter which states all persons 18 years or older who reside with the applicant are aware the applicant will be securing a firearm(s) in the residence.
- Demonstrate the existence of proper cause or legitimate business necessity for the issuance of a license other than Target/Hunting or Retired Officer; Note: The NCPD may alter a licensee’s classification at any time upon a finding that proper cause/legitimate business necessity no longer exists. Proper cause, like any license requirement stated herein, must be demonstrated each time the license is renewed and at any time upon request by NCPD Pistol License Section personnel. If proper cause is not proven, the license will be modified accordingly to reflect the appropriate classification.
Do I need a pistol license to become an armed guard?
New York State requires that you have a NYS pistol permit before you can take the required courses (47 Hour Firearms Security Training, 8 Hour Annual Firearms Training) for armed guard registration.
In order to take those courses, you must first obtain a sportsman/hunting pistol permit. To amend your license for armed security, you must be employed with a licensed security company in Suffolk or Nassau Counties and complete the 47 Hour Firearms and 8 Hour Firearms Training courses.
Note that the armed guard license from Suffolk or Nassau is valid everywhere in New York EXCEPT the five boroughs of the City of New York. For Nassau County, armored car guard licenses are valid in all of New York, including the five boroughs of the City of New York.
I have a previous non-violent criminal history. Will I be denied a pistol permit?
It depends on the offense. Having felony convictions will automatically disqualify you from obtaining a permit in New York. Offenses and violations outlined in 265 of the NYS penal law will automatically disqualify you from receiving a NYS pistol permit. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Stalking in the third or fourth degree
- Fraudulent Accosting
- Criminal Possession of Stolen Property third degree
- Possession of burglar’s tools
- Criminal Possession or Sale of a Controlled substance, Criminal Possession Hypodermic Instrument, Criminal Injection of a Narcotic Drug, Criminally Using Drug Paraphernalia, Criminal Possession of Precursors of
Controlled Substances, Criminal Sale of a Prescription for a Controlled Substance
- Promoting Prostitution 3rd degree, Permitting Prostitution
- Obscenity in first, second, and third degree, (defined in section 235, 235.05, 235.06, 235.07, 235.10, 235.15) Obscenity or disseminating indecent material to minors first and second degree. (235.21 and 235.22)
- Loitering to engage or solicit to engage in deviate sexual intercourse or other sexual behavior of a deviate nature
- Endangering the Welfare of a Child
- Criminal Possession of a Weapon fourth degree
What states reciprocate a NYS pistol license?
The following states will reciprocate or honor a New York State Pistol Weapons Permit:
- Michigan (residents only)
- North Carolina
- South Dakota